Gluten-free Soda Crackers with Fresh Thyme
YIELD: 3 dozen crackers
|pinto bean flour
|red quinoa (or black)
|unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
|fresh thyme leaves, chopped coarse
Kosher salt as needed
- Add the red quinoa to a medium stainless-steel bowl. Sift the cornstarch, pinto bean flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and xanthan gum into the bowl with the quinoa.
- Rub the butter into the sifted ingredients and quinoa until coarse crumbs form. Mix in the grated cheeses and thyme.
- Add the milk and mix until just barely combined. The dough will seem too wet. Let it rest, covered and refrigerated, for a 1/2 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and divide the dough up into 5 equal sections. Roll one section at a time between two generously pinto flour-dusted sheets of parchment paper until each is 1/16 inch thick.
- Carefully remove the top layer of the parchment paper. Using a 2-inch round pastry cutter ring, cut out the dough. Place the cut rings on a parchment paper-lined half sheet pan/cookie pan. Repeat with the remaining 3 sections of dough. Place on 2 new half sheet pans.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and place your rack on the second lowest shelf. Lightly sprinkle each cut-out circle with kosher salt. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Check for doneness by biting into one of the crackers. If it is still chewy and not crisp, continue baking until it is.
- Remove the crackers from the oven once crisp and allow to cool to room temperature. Place the crackers in an airtight container until they are needed.